100-millisecond Proton and Electron Count Rate from SAMPEX/PET
This data set consists of the count rate from the P1 detector on the PET instrument. The detector responds to electrons >400 keV and protons > ~2 MeV. The data set covers the entire mission (5 July 1992 to 30 June 2004).
Units are counts per 50msec. The 100msec cadence is due to a 50% duty cycle.
Data are currently provided as daily ASCII text files. Each file contains two columns:
- P1 Count_rate - P1ADC detector singles rate. Electrons > 400 keV, protons > ~2 MeV.
Notes and Caveats
- The data are not corrected or flagged for saturation effects. Note that this rate is from a single detector that has a broad acceptance cone and a geometric factor of ~10 cm^2 sr.
- The PET and HILT hi-res rates were accumulated only if count rates were above a programmable threshold, and these thresholds were adjusted several times during the mission.
- The PET and HILT hi-res rates had separate memory quotas in the SAMPEX SEDS solid state recorder, and if the rates filled their respective quotas no additional hi-res data would be collected until after the solid state recorder memory had been cleared following a ground pass.
- Additional details on the threshold adjustments can be found in the HILT, PET, and DPU "Event tables" in the MDF documentation (Appendix "I").
- PET Geometry factors and Response functions (PDF)
- PET Geometry factors for electrons (tab-delimited text)